To support your review of these resources, access a downloadable and editable version of the templates here:
60+ adaptable slides that introduces key issues in AI in education, including:
Download and customize the deck for professional learning opportunities in your school community.
An AI in Education Deck
1. Elizabeth Laird, Madeleine Dwyer, & Hugh Grant-Chapman, Off Task: EdTech Threats to Student Privacy and Equity in the Age of AI, Ctr. for Democracy & Tech (Sep. 20, 2023), https://cdt.org/insights/report-off-task-edtech-threats-to-student-privacy-and-equity-in-the-age-of-ai/.
2. Gallagher, H. A., Yongpradit, P., & Kleiman, G. (August, 2023). From reactive to proactive: Putting districts in the AI driver's seat [Commentary]. Policy Analysis for California Education. https://edpolicyinca.org/newsroom/reactive-proactive
3. UNESCO. 2023. Guidance for generative AI in education and research. Paris, UNESCO. Available at: https://unesdoc.unesco.org/ark:/48223/pf0000386693 (Accessed 22 September 2023.)
4. Dede, C. (2023). What is Academic Integrity in the Era of Generative Artificial Intelligence? (Blog) https://silverliningforlearning.org/what-is-academic-integrity-in-the-era-of-generative-artificial-intelligence/
5. The White House: OSTP, Blueprint for an AI Bill of Rights: Making Automated Systems Work for the American People, The White House, https://www.whitehouse.gov/ostp/ai-bill-of-rights/
6. U.S. Department of Education, Office of Educational Technology, Artificial Intelligence and Future of Teaching and Learning: Insights and Recommendations, Washington, DC, 2023.
7. The White House: OSTP, Blueprint for an AI Bill of Rights: Making Automated Systems Work for the American People, The White House, https://www.whitehouse.gov/ostp/ai-bill-of-rights/
8. Gallagher, H. A., & Cottingham, B. W. (2023, June). The urgent need to update district policies on student use of artificial intelligence in education [Commentary]. Policy Analysis for California Education. https://edpolicyinca.org/newsroom/urgent-need-update-district-policies-student-use-artificial-intelligence-education
9. International Center for Academic Integrity [ICAI]. (2021). The Fundamental Values of Academic Integrity. (3rd ed). www.academicintegrity.org/the-fundamental-values-of-academic-integrity
10. Liang, W., Yuksekgonul, M., Mao, Y., Wu, E., and Zou, J. (2023). GPT Detectors Are Biased against Non-native English Writers. Patterns 4,100779.
11. U.S. Department of Education, Office of Educational Technology, Artificial Intelligence and Future of Teaching and Learning: Insights and Recommendations, Washington, DC, 2023.
12. OpenAI. (2023). ChatGPT (September 25 Version) [Large language model]. https://chat.openai.com
Additional Resources for Crafting AI Guidance and Policies
Citing AI use
Ethical AI Procurement
AI Use Cases in Education
AI Literacy and Digital Literacy
Relevant Regulations to AI in Education
These regulations are relevant to the use of AI in education settings:
AI Guidance for Schools Toolkit © 2023 by Code.org, CoSN, Digital Promise, European EdTech Alliance, and PACE is licensed under CC BY-NC-SA 4.0
A 4-page Summary of the Toolkit